CUT THE CARBS THIS CHRISTMAS WITH MINCE PIES
No festive season is complete without a delicious, freshly baked mince pie.
With delicious, buttery pastry; sweet, spicy mincemeat and a sprinkle of icing sugar, they’re the perfect treat for all ages.
Mince pies are traditionally made with shortcrust pastry, which is high in fat, salt and sugar. But there is a healthier alternative that won’t mean piling on the calories this festive season.
Using Lo-Dough instead of shortcrust pastry adds a lighter touch to the traditional recipe, while still being delicious.
Make a mince pie tart to serve your family and friends – or keep it all for yourself!
Each serving (6 portions) is just 91 kcal and 20g of carbs, which makes it a totally healthy yet indulgent treat you can enjoy guilt-free this winter.
FESTIVE BAKING IN YOUR STYLISH KITCHEN
When the weather outside is freezing, there’s nothing better than cosying up in your new kitchen and doing some festive baking.
Make your kitchen island the heart of your preparation area and lay out everything you need before you get started.
Lo-Dough is a great alternative to pastry when making any dough-based products, from cakes to quiches and even pizzas. It’s a low-carb alternative that’s packed with healthy fibre, and it tastes wonderful.
A 7-inch sandwich tin.
- 1 piece of Lo-Dough
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- 300g mincemeat*
*Reduced-sugar mincemeat recipe:
- 1 apple, grated
- 100g of mixed dried fruit
- 100g of cranberries
- The juice of 2 clementines
- 10g of butter
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sweetener
Just add everything to a saucepan and simmer until the orange juice has reduced and the whole mix is thick and sticky. This mincemeat will keep for 5 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4. bits of orange zest (optional).
- Roll out your Lo-Dough flat between two pieces of paper found in the pouch and work into a 7inch tin.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the Lo-Dough and arrange the apple slices on top
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a rack and once cooled enough place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Serve alongside any accompaniment of your choice, or just straight up.